What do I need from the tax collector's office in order to register my car?

If motor vehicle taxes are unpaid, you will be unable to renew vehicle, snowmobile, or vessel registrations with the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), per Connecticut General Statute 14-33.   Past due motor vehicle taxes must be paid in full by cash, cashiers' check, money order, MasterCard, VISA, debit card, or ATM card in order to receive DMV clearance. You also must pay a fee of $5 per vehicle, per year in order to be cleared to register at the DMV. 

If you pay with an ‘E Check’, you must provide proof your check has cleared your bank before receiving clearance. All DMV clearances are now processed electronically, online, overnight. 

If you pay back taxes in person today, your clearance will be processed overnight, and you will be clear to register at DMV the following business day.   

If you need a clearance today, and cannot wait for the overnight clearance, you can request an "Express" DMV clearance for an additional fee of $20,  payable to the City of Norwalk.  This service may not always be available depending on our staffing, as not all staff members have access to the DMV system, and the DMV system may not always be functional and accessible. 

If you pay your motor vehicle taxes online or by telephone, you must allow at least TWO business days for the steps that need to be taken to process your payment (first) and submit clearance to DMV (second). All outstanding vehicle taxes in your name, including taxes not yet delinquent, must be paid in full for a release to be issued. 

The state of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles encourages taxpayers to try to do transactions on line, when possible, to avoid standing in line at the DMV branches. Access the Department of Motor Vehicles on line from the link on the tax collector's home page. You can check compliance status (property taxes, insurance, emissions, etc.), renew or cancel license plates, change information DMV has on file for you or your vehicles, and more.

If you have questions about what you owe, please contact the tax collector's office at (203) 854-7731 or by fax at (203) 854-7770. You may also access your property tax bill online.

View additional methods for paying your taxes.

Show All Answers

1. What do I need from the tax collector's office in order to register my car?
2. I'm being improperly billed for my car. What do I do?
3. What is the best way to pay my tax bill or statement?
4. What do I owe on a delinquent tax bill?