Curbside Textile Recycling
Norwalk's Curbside Textile Recycling
The City of Norwalk is excited to provide curbside textile recycling through its partner vendor, HELPSY.
Norwalk Residents will be able to recycle unwanted textiles by booking an appointment with HELPSY.
On April 4, Mayor Harry Rilling announced that the City of Norwalk has officially begun its partnership with HELPSY, offering free at-home pickups of clothing and household textiles to residents. HELPSY is the largest clothing collector in the Northeast that partners with municipalities to recycle and reuse unwanted clothing and other textiles to provide communities with an environmentally friendly alternative to throwing clothes in the trash.
In celebration of Earth Day, the first pickup will be on Saturday, April 23, 2022.
Norwalk residents can visit www.helpsy.co/norwalkct and schedule at-home pickups on Saturdays, starting April 23, 2022.
“Norwalk is thrilled to begin our partnership with HELPSY, an organization with an environmental mission aimed at changing how people recycle their textiles, such as clothes and shoes. Through this partnership, the City will save money, and residents will be able to easily recycle their unwanted textiles to help preserve our environment. Textile waste is one of the fastest-growing waste streams in the nation, and we must do better,” said Mayor Harry Rilling.
HELPSY requires that clothing submitted be clean, dry, bagged, and left outside before 7:00 AM on the morning of pickup.
Scheduling a Pickup
Call: (877) 382-7417
The following items can be donated in any condition (torn, worn, missing buttons, broken zippers, etc.) as long as they are clean, dry and odorless.
Clothing & Fashion Accessories
- Men, women, children sizes
- Dresses, t-shirts, blouses, pants, shorts, suits, pajamas, bathrobes, etc.
- Slips, bras, underwear, tights
- Coats, scarves, gloves, hats
- Belts, ties, handkerchiefs, bandanas
- Wallets, purses, backpacks, totes
- Shoes, sandals, flip-flops, boots, sneakers, cleats, slippers
- Towels, sheets, blankets, throws, comforters, pillows
- Halloween constumes
- Curtains, drapes, fabric, shower curtains
- Placemats, tablecloths, linens
- Throw rugs, fabric mats
- Stuffed animals
Items NOT Accepted
- Breakable housewares or glass
- Electronics: TVs, computers, monitors
- Building Materials
- Scrap Metal: bed frames, curtain rods, etc.
- Large Appliances
- Encyclopedia sets
- Phone books, newspapers, magazines