Zoning Permits

Does my project require a Zoning Permit?

An approved Zoning Permit is required in advance of applying for a Building Permit. Some activities, such as the construction of a small shed, are exempt from Building Permits, but still require a Zoning Permit. To learn more about the fees associated with a Zoning Permit, click here.

Many home improvements such as fencing, paving, and roofing do not need zoning approval, but may need approval from other agencies. In these instances, the Zoning Office may still need to review the plans to confirm they are exempt from Zoning permitting.   

For driveway permits, please start with this application form and submit the form to DPW

Work that requires a Zoning Permit includes, but is not limited to:

  • Accessory structures, such as sheds, swimming pools, HVAC equipment
  • Interior or exterior modifications to your home, including the construction of decks, additions, & garages
  • Use of your home for a private business or "home occupation"
  • Commercial tenant fit-ups or changes, signage, and expansions 
  • Certain work within the flood zone
application form graphic Opens in new window

If you determine that you'll need to apply for a Zoning Permit, please read instructions below.   The application form can be found here.

You must provide sufficient detailed and accurate information to submit an application for Zoning Permit. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.

  • Applicants should fill out only the highlighted portions on the form.  Applicant AND property owner must sign the application.  Zoning Staff will fill out the rest of the form during review of your project.  
  • In addition to the application form, you will need to submit plans that adequately depict your project.  At a minimum, you must provide:

 ☐ Site plan indicating the location of the proposed work relative to the property lines. This plan must be drawn at a standard scale and be legible.

☐ Plans (architectural, construction, or floor) indicating the current and proposed conditions. This plan must be dimensionally accurate and legible.

  • Depending on the nature of your project, you may need to provide further detailed plans and/or a land survey.  Please note, properties in a flood zone may require additional documentation.  
  • For proposed detached accessory structure (a shed, pool, generator, HVAC or similar) on your property, click here for a summary of setbacks and other information.  
  • Submitting your application:
    • You can submit your complete application and plans via email to ZoningPermits@NorwalkCT.org.  Include the property address in the subject line of your email. 
    • Hard copies of plan sets and your application can also be dropped off at P&Z office at Room 129 City Hall, between 8:30AM and 4:00PM Monday through Friday. 
    • Applications for the following items should submit via email:
      • Wall signs
      • Pools
      • Sheds
      • HVAC systems
      • Propane
      • Generators
      • Decks
      • Interior Renovations
      • Tenant Fit-Ups
      • ** For the above items, our Zoning Office may request hard copies on a case-by-case basis**
  • Applicants of larger projects should submit paper copies of the form and plans in person to the Planning & Zoning Office, Room 129, City Hall.  We will need three (3) paper copies of your plans.  Our counter is open 8:30AM to 4:00PM Monday through Friday. 
  • The application fee will be collected once the application is complete and the permit is ready to be issued.  We accept payment by credit or debit card only. 
  • Your Zoning Permit will be delivered to the Building Department.  

Additional materials may be needed prior to the issuance of your Building Permit.  Please refer to the Building Permit procedure below: