The service of paying your property tax bill in person at the bank branches is available only until August 3. Taxes can be paid at the following bank branches.
If you need to look up your tax payment history for income tax purposes, we
Tax bills for the July 1, 2020 installment were mailed beginning June 18, 2020.
The last day to pay without interest for most Norwalk taxpayers will be Thursday, October 1, 2020.
Interest is charged on late payments at the rate of 1.5% per month. A portion of a month is considered a whole month; interest is not per diem. Interest on first installment payments for the month of October will be retroactive to the July 1 due date, or 1.5% per month for four months (6%).
The second installment of these taxes will come due January 1, 2021, and will be payable by February 1, 2021. Bills for the second installment will be sent in mid December 2020 but can be paid at any time - taxpayers do not need to wait to receive a bill in the mail.
Past due statements were sent in September, 2019 and in February 2020, prior to filing lien continuing certificates on March 11, 2020.
- You can look up what you owe by clicking the "E-Tax Bill Lookup" on this page under Quick Links (to your right) , or also in the blue margin to your left.
- On June 1, 2020, the Board of Estimate and Taxation set the mill rates for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2020. Those rates can be seen by clicking the link below. These rates generate taxes based on the Grand List (assessment date) of October 1, 2019. The new grand list reflects last year's citywide property revaluation.
2019 grand list mill rates:
2018 grand list mill rates:
During the collection period only, if you would like to pay in person at a bank branch, you may bring your most recent bill, and the bank will give you a receipt. Please be sure to bring your most recently received bill with you. This service is subject to the branch's own discretion / opening.
- The easiest and most convenient way to pay your tax bill is on line or over the phone with an "E Check" (electronic check / ACH payment). There is a modest fee of $0.95 for using an E Check. This is an efficient, cost effective, and reliable method of making your payment. Eliminate the anxiety and delay of mailing your payment. No check writing - no trip to the mailbox - no paper - pay at any time, from anywhere!
Liens: Lien continuing certificates ('tax liens') for the 2018 grand list were filed on March 12, 2020.
Tax Sale: The tax sale was held July 23, 2018. The six month redemption period expired on January 23, 2019. Deeds were recorded on January 24, 2019. Our next tax sale was scheduled for July 20, 2020. Due to COVID 19, it will be rescheduled to a date to be determined.
- Q & A on Tax Information
- “Where Your Tax Dollar Goes” - FYE 2020
- Tax Collector's Legal Notice, June 2020
- Tax Collector's Legal Notice, January 2020
- Tax Payment Information Policy
- The E Tax Bill look up online is now available
- Important notice about your motor vehicle tax bills
- Business personal property: Declarations must be received by November 1 in the Assessor's office. To download a copy of the form once they become available to be filed, go to the Norwalk Assessor's page on this website, and search for 2019 personal property declaration. (The form is 8 pages.) There is a penalty assessed for filing after November 1.
Location: Room 105, on the first floor (ground level) of Norwalk City Hall.
Mailing address: Tax Collector, 125 East Avenue Room 105, Norwalk, CT 06851
Tel: (203) 854 - 7731 Facsimile: (203) 854 - 7770
Responsibilities: The tax collector's office is responsible for the billing and collection of property taxes and other charges that comprise approximately 90% of the city's operating revenue. The office operates under the authority of the Connecticut General Statutes.
Taxes and charges collected include:
- Real estate taxes
- Motor vehicle taxes
- Business personal property taxes
- Sewer use fees
- Sewer assessment fees, IPP fees, and other city charges
Lisa Biagiarelli, CCMC, Esq., Tax Collector
Click for 2018 Tax Sale List
Tax Sale Boards May 2018
Tax Sale Boards July 20, 2018
The tax sale was held July 23, 2018. We collected in excess of $5 million through the 2018 tax sale.
- Legal Notice: Second Constructive Notice: Publication June 27, 2018
- Bidding Restrictions for City of Norwalk Officials and Employees
- Tax Sale Minimum Bid List: July 20, 2018
- Boat Slip Drawings
- Legal Notice Subsequent to Tax Sale: September 5, 2018
- Glossary of terms related to tax collection.
- Q & A on Elderly & Disabled Tax Relief
- Q & A on Tax Information
- Tax Sale Information
- Senior Services and Money Saving Programs
- Delinquent Business Personal Property Tax Levy Notice - March 4 2016