Zoning Permit Applications Guidelines
What needs a Zoning Permit?
- Accessory structures, such as sheds, swimming pools, HVAC equipment
- Interior or exterior modifications to your home, including construction of decks, additions, & garages and expanding living space
- Use of your home for a private business or "home occupation"
- Commercial tenant-fit ups or changes, signage, and expansions
- Certain work within a flood zone @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
You must provide sufficient detailed and accurate information to submit an application for Zoning Permit. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
The Zoning Permit Application form can be found here.
Applicants should fill out only the highlighted portions. Applicant AND property owner must sign the application. Zoning Staff will fill out the rest of the form during review of your project.
In addition to the application form, you will need to submit plans that adequately depict your project.
At a minimum, you must provide:
☐ Site plan indicating the location of the proposed work relative to the property lines. This plan must be drawn at a standard scale and be legible.
☐ Plans (architectural, construction, or floor) indicating the current and proposed conditions. This plan must be dimensionally accurate and legible.
Depending on the nature of your project, you may need to provide further detailed plans and/or a land survey. Please note, properties in the flood zone may require additional documentation.
For proposed detached accessory structure (a shed, pool, generator, HVAC or similar) on your property, click here for a summary of setbacks and other information.
You can submit your complete application and plans to ZoningPermits@NorwalkCT.org. Include the property address in the subject line of your email.
Hard copies of plan sets and your application can also be dropped off at P&Z office at Room 129 City Hall, between 8:30AM and 4:00PM Monday through Friday.
Please click below for more information on the City's permitting process :
For projects involving Residential (1- & 2-Family Residences) Properties