Plastic Straw & Styrofoam Ordinances
Ordinances Regarding Plastic Straws, Plastic Stirrers, and Styrofoam Containers
In September 2019, the Common Council unanimously passed Ordinances that prohibit the selling and distribution of single-use plastic straws, single-use plastic stirrers, and polystyrene, more commonly referred to as Styrofoam. These ordinances take effect on April 22, 2020.
Protecting the environment is a top priority for the City of Norwalk because it directly affects our entire community. Ensuring we all have access to essential resources, that our health is protected, and that we can enjoy a good quality of life is critical to Norwalk. That is why these Ordinances are so important. Please see below for information on these Ordinances.
Have questions? Contact Norwalk Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org or (203) 854-3200.
Single-use Plastic Straws and Stirrers
- No food or beverage establishment in the City of Norwalk shall sell, provide, distribute, or display a single-use plastic or “compostable” straw made from bioplastics such as corn or other plant sources unless requested by the consumer. Food or beverage establishments must provide a single-use plastic straw upon request. This provision is to accommodate those who may have a disability or medical condition and require a straw.
- No food or beverage establishment in the City of Norwalk shall sell, provide, distribute, or display a single-use plastic or “compostable” stirrer made from bioplastics such as corn or other plant sources.
Use and Sale of Polystyrene, aka Styrofoam, Products
- No retail establishment located in the City of Norwalk shall serve, sell, distribute, or provide prepared food in or on a polystyrene food service product. This includes, but is not limited to, cups, bowls, plates, trays, and hinged or lidded containers.
- No retail establishment located in the City of Norwalk shall sell, offer for sale, distribute, or provide polystyrene loose fill packaging, commonly known as “packing peanuts.”
- No food packager located in the City of Norwalk shall package meat, eggs, bakery products, or other food in or on a polystyrene food service product.
- Polystyrene food service products used for prepackaged food that have been filled and sealed prior to receipt by the retail establishment, used to contain or store raw meat or seafood sold from a butcher case or similar retail appliance, or coolers and ice chests, provided that such polystyrene is fully encased in another material, are exempt.
These Ordinances will be enforced by the Code Enforcement Officer or their designee, and have a penalty of up to $250 per violation. Full text of the Ordinances is available online at ecode360.com/27049223
Please don’t hesitate to contact the Norwalk Customer Service Center at email@example.com or (203) 854-3200 with questions.