Initial Steps for New Recruits
Initial Steps to Becoming a Police Officer
Notice: Entry level test is August 1, 2015. Registration deadline is July 25, 2015.
Online application must be completed through www.policeapp.com.
- Determine whether you meet the department's minimum qualifications.
- Obtain a valid Complete Health and Injury Prevention (CHIP) Card by registering to take the Physical Ability Assessment online. Assessments may also be scheduled by calling (203) 235-5865. The current fee to take the assessment is $65. (May be waived for financial hardship. To apply for waiver contact Lt Brian Cunningham at or 203-854-3003.)
- Apply for the written exam online to obtain your test date and exam location site. The current fee is $50. (May be waived for financial hardship. To apply for a waiver contact Lt. Cunningham at or 203-854-3003.)
- Take the written exam. Bring your driver's license to the test site.
- If you do not pass the required written exam, you end your current application process and may not retake the test for a period six months.
- Take the Oral Board Interview. Notification will be made by mail / email based on department needs.
- If you do not pass the Oral Board Interview, your current application process is terminated. You may return to step two after a period of six months.
- You are placed on the department's eligibility list. However, please note that placement on the list does not ensure that you will move on to the next phase.
- A conditional offer of employment will be given to those the department selects from the eligibility list.
- Acceptance of the conditional offer of employment begins the formal application process. Successful candidates can expect to go through the phases of becoming a Norwalk police officer.
More information about the initial steps for new recruits listed above can be obtained by contacting the Training and Recruitment Division at (203) 854-3003.