Success Stories

Norwalk Lock Building

The Norwalk Lock Building, originally constructed in 1856, was a technological wonder in its day. It was one of the first large steam-powered factories in America. In 1999, it was slated for demolition; however, the building was completely rehabilitated and reopened in 2001. In addition, it has been placed on the eligibility list for the National Register of Historic Places.

South Norwalk Police Station

Redevelopment began on the South Norwalk Police Station site in 1991. Work on this project included:
  • Cleaning up contamination that posed a potential threat to public health and the environment
  • Providing needed municipal office and community meeting space without promoting urban sprawl
  • Removing abandoned buildings to reduce community blight

For More Information

For more information about either of these projects, please contact the Norwalk Redevelopment Agency at (203) 854-7810.