Main telephone number: (203) 854-7731. Facsimile: (203) 854-7770
Tax Bills for the July 1, 2018 installment were mailed between June 14 -June 19, 2018.
Our office, and participating Norwalk bank branches, are now accepting payments on these bills. These bills were printed with information as of June 4, 2018 only, so any payments, adjustments or changes made after June 4 will not be reflected in the bills taxpayers receive in the mail.
- You can look up what you owe by clicking the "E-Tax Bill Lookup" on this page under Quick Links (to your right) , or also in the blue margin to your left.
- On May 7, 2018, the Board of Estimate and Taxation set the new mill rates for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2018. Those rates can be seen by clicking the link below. These rates will generate taxes based on the Grand List (assessment date) of October 1, 2017.
- Taxes are due July 1, 2018 and January 1, 2019, payable without interest by August 1, 2018, and February 1, 2019. You may pay now - by mail; in person at our office, in person at a participating bank branch; on line, or over the telephone. If you would like to pay in person at a bank branch, we ask you to wait until you receive your new bill, so the bank will be able to give you a receipt. The easiest way to pay is either by mail or on line with an "E Check" (electronic check / ACH payment). There is a modest fee of $1.50 for using an E Check.
2018 -2019 Approved Operating Budget:
For more information on the operating budget, please go to the Management & Budgets home page.
Past Due Statements / Demands :
Past due tax statements sent in February 2018 showed charges, including interest, due through March 15, 2018 only. These mailed statements reflected payments and adjustments made through February 16, 2018 only (the day they were produced). Taxpayers making payment now should contact the tax collector’s office, or check the city website, before making their payment, to determine exactly what they owe.
Liens: Lien continuing certificates ('tax liens') were filed on the Norwalk Land Records on March 16, 2018.
Tax Sale: Notices relative to the July 23, 2018 tax sale were filed in the Norwalk Land Records on May 14, 2018. Taxpayers calling for payoff on any tax sale property should contact the tax collector's office staff before making payment to obtain up to date information on what is owed. At this time, payments must be made with certified bank check or trustee check in order for properties to be removed from the sale. Personal checks will not be accepted to remove properties from the tax sale.
"Prepayment" of property tax obligations:
As a consequence of recent changes in the way state and local property taxes may be allowable as deductions ("SALT" deductions) in the federal tax code, many taxpayers had new questions about "prepayment" of tax obligations that come due in 2018. Taxpayers were welcome to pay their January 1, 2018 installments of their tax obligations in calendar year 2017. However, the city did not have the authority to collect tax installments that will come due in July 2018 or later. Many taxpayers chose to pay their January 2018 obligations in December 2017, even though the last day to pay without penalty was February 1, 2018. However, we did not accept payments towards future tax obligations (payments due in July 2018 and beyond), as doing so would have conflicted with state law.
Refunds of Excess Payments:
Our office refunds payments made in excess of the amount billed ("overpayments") according to standard procedures. There is a written application form that must be completed and signed, and other information must be provided. If a taxpayer paid in December 2017, and his or her escrow agent subsequently also paid the same bill, the refund was sent to the escrow agent, as that is the payment that 'overpaid' the account. All property tax refunds in excess of $10,000 require legislative approval per the city charter. Please contact a staff member for more information.
- Q & A on Tax Information
- “Where Your Tax Dollar Goes” - FYE 2019
- Tax Collector's Legal Notice, June 2018
- Tax Payment Information Policy
- The E Tax Bill look up online is now available
- Important notice about your motor vehicle tax bills
The tax collector's office will close at 2 pm on Monday, July 23, 2018 in advance of the tax sale.
Location: Room 105, on the first floor (ground level) of Norwalk City Hall.
Mailing address: Tax Collector, 125 East Avenue Room 105, Norwalk, CT 06851
Tel: (203) 854 - 7731 Facsimile: (203) 854 - 7770
Responsibilities: The tax collector's office is responsible for the billing and collection of property taxes and other charges that comprise approximately 90% of the city's operating revenue. The office operates under the authority of the Connecticut General Statutes.
Taxes and charges collected include:
- Real estate taxes
- Motor vehicle taxes
- Business personal property taxes
- Sewer use fees
- Sewer assessment fees, IPP fees, and other city charges
Lisa Biagiarelli, Tax Collector
- Legal Notice: Second Constructive Notice: Publication June 27, 2018
- Bidding Restrictions for City of Norwalk Officials and Employees
- Tax Sale Minimum Bid List: July 13, 2018