Phases of the Hiring Process
Note: The phases listed below are intended to serve as a general guideline for informational purposes only. Advancing form one phase to the next or within a phase does not necessarily mean you have passed the previous activity, evaluation, or test. The first three phases can take several months. Fees are subject to change.
For further information, contact the Training and Recruitment Division at (203) 854-3003.
- Physical Ability Assessment/C.H.I.P. card; good for 6 months. Fee is $65.
- Written Entrance Exam - fee $50 (Plus $16 PoliceApp fee Service Charge) Fees may be waived due to financial hardship by contacting Lieutenant Brian Cunningham at or 203-854-3003.
- Oral Board Interview
- Eligibility list
- Conditional offer of employment
- Background questionnaire and Employment Application
- Document review, fingerprinting and photograph
- Background investigation
- Psychological evaluation
- Medical exam and drug screen
- Candidate review
- Physical Ability assessment (no fee)
- Hiring - Probationary appointment
- Pre-academy training
- Police Academy (approximately 24 weeks long), Physical Assessment (3rd, 4th & 5th tests - no fees). Police Academy may be resident (live-in) or a commuter class, based on department needs & availability.
- Post-academy Training
- Field training and Evaluation (approximately 12 weeks long)
- Certification as Police Officer
- One year probationary period upon certification